Tuesday, October 16, 2007

What's For Dinner?


In the book Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns, there is a discussion of how pious a character is. It goes something like this:
“She’s so religious she asks God what to cook for supper.”
“Honey, every woman on earth asks God what to cook for supper now and then.”

I remember this exchange every time I stand in the produce section of the grocery store, wondering what to fix for dinner. I would probably ask for divine inspiration if I thought it would do any good because although I do really like to cook, I just flat get tired of trying to think of what to cook. I'm so desperate for ideas that I ask my husband what he'd like for dinner at least once or twice a week.

I say desperate because every time I ask the man what he'd like to eat, he says one of two things. Either white bean chili or clam spaghetti.

It’s like those are the only two dishes he can ever remember that I cook. Either that, or those are the only two things I cook that he likes, which I find hard to believe.

I’m a decent cook. I can cook full-on Southern and I can do crunchy-granola hippie. (I actually used to make my own granola, but that was another lifetime ago.) I can do low fat, vegan, vegetarian, carnivorous, and child-friendly. I’m versant with what I call Florida cracker cooking, which involves a lot of fish and game as well as your breads made of corn, and I can do a few passable ethnic things as well.

So I can and do cook a lot more than white bean chili and clam spaghetti.

So why can’t the Man come up with more than two suggestions for a night’s menu?

I’m not sure. If pressed, he will offer to grill something. This always cracks me up because he presents the offer as if it would take the entire responsibility of the meal off of me. As if grilling some sort of protein over a fire means we don’t need a salad, some vegetables and some sort of grain or bread to go with it. Since we don’t eat much meat these days, there’s not a whole lot he can grill anyway and don’t tell me that grilled eggplant is something he could do- I’m sure he could, but for some reason, my fellow just doesn’t get excited about grilling vegetables. He’ll do some on the side, but it’s encoded in his DNA that the real reason for cranking up the coals is to sear a piece of meat, and he does a good job of that, whether it’s the occasional chicken breast, pork chop or a tuna steak. I always enjoy what he grills, especially since I’ve usually marinated it beforehand.

I’m into marinade, which I even use for tofu. And no, he does not grill tofu. He’ll eat it and if I begged, he’d grill it, but he’d never in his whole life suggest it.

I have observed that when men grill there are rituals involved. Of course building the fire or starting the coals or gas is important. Having plenty of condiments and seasoning at hand is necessary, too. In my husband’s case, these are garlic salt and pepper, which is why I marinate, I suppose.

But I believe that after the actual piece of protein to be grilled, the most important factor in successful male outdoor cookery is the beer. Or manly cocktail.
This is what I have observed, anyway.

I discovered about a dozen years ago that I, too, could grill food. Not only could I grill food, but I could cook the rest of the kitchen-prepared meal at the same time. I could grill, make a salad, steam some broccoli, make some bread and set the table too. I could not only do all of this, I could drink beer at the same time! If necessary, I could watch the children and run a load of laundry too, but I'm not here to brag.

This discovery so disconcerted my husband that I had to quit doing it. It was if I had cracked some male code and had become a freak of nature, not unlike a poodle who was suddenly able to speak in perfect Latin.

So I leave the grilling to him these days.

And he leaves the menu planning to me.

“Honey, whatchu want for supper?” I ask him. There’s always a long pause, as if he’s thinking about it and ever hopeful, I can almost believe he’s going through all the many meals in his head that I have presented him with over the years, trying to decide which one he might be in the mood for. A lovely bean and vegetable soup with home-made sourdough bread? Spicy mustard shrimp with brown rice and vegetables? A healthy, delicious, colorful stirfry? My amazing salmon with spinach and edamame beans? Black beans with rice? Veggie burgers and oven-baked French fries?
What? Just tell me what you want. I’ll cook it!

And then he speaks.

“Clam spaghetti?” he suggests. “White bean chili? I don’t know. You pick.”

I sigh and wish I had a personal relationship with Jesus so that I could ask him for a little inspiration.

But then again, Jesus was, by all accounts, a man, and one prone to fasting at that, so I doubt he’d be much help either.

“Thanks,” I say. “I’ll think of something.”

And I always do. It’s almost a miracle, how I come up with something healthy and tasty to cook every night of the week.

Tonight we’re having clam spaghetti, which, when you think about it, has a lot in common with loaves and fishes.

So thanks, fellows.
I appreciate your help.

16 comments:

  1. I discovered about a dozen years ago that I, too, could grill food. Not only could I grill food, but I could cook the rest of the kitchen-prepared meal at the same time. I could grill, make a salad, steam some broccoli, make some bread and set the table too. I could not only do all of this, I could drink beer at the same time! If necessary, I could watch the children and run a load of laundry too, but I'm not here to brag.

    Divine Ms. M,
    I am sitting in the amen corner. Do you hear me shouting loudly?

    But you know what? I'm better'n you. I know that I could do all of the above-mentioned activities AND blog on my laptop computer at the same time.

    That's because I'm a multitasking diva.

    A dillusional, multitasking diva with a fractured shoulder who is a little wonky on Percoset, that is.

    BFF,
    Miss T

    Hehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. T- I am certain that if necessary, you and I both could do the grilling, the cooking, the table-setting, the child-tending, the laundry, drink beer, take Percoset and blog at the same time.
    However, yes, we might end up with injuries.
    At least SOMEONE might end up with injuries.
    And let us never actually try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well. This we shall never attempt. But we shall live with the delusion that we are the only two superwomenses on this planet who could accomplish aforesaid activities to the physical detriment of perhaps just one.

    And the people said

    Amen.

    **BONK**THUD**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, Ms. T! Are you down for the count?
    Get some rest honey.
    But honestly, I think we could do all of that and maybe deliver a baby at the same time.
    You think?
    Okay. Maybe we should skip the Percoset if we needed to deliver a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think next Thursday you should make pineapple chicken. Lots of pineapple chicken. And you should leave the leftovers for Lily and myself, because I'm helping her house-sit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Actually, since I got all healthy as a cook, when I do cook chicken (which is fairly rarely) I only cook it with the skin off, and pineapple chicken requires the skin to be there for that tasty, semi-greasy yummy sauce to form.
    It's just not the same!
    I could leave you guys the recipe though! How about that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great to me. Pass the Percocet. I just had Mexican food in D.C. The chicken had a little wang to it. I'm hoping it was lime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know that wang and I hope for your sake it is lime.
    You'll probably be fine, Juancho. I remember once IN MEXICO, we ate at this place in a tiny town where chickens were running in the streets. We were the only people in the restaurant and the owner (I suppose) talked us into the menu of the day which included more types of meat than I could identify.
    I bravely ate, being too afraid of offending him to refuse any of the dishes he so graciously put in front of us. The entire time we were eating, I was thinking, "Jesus, we're going to be sick as dogs. We'll probably die."
    Of course we were fine and never got sick at all.
    I am hoping the same for you.
    Also- although we are enjoying your substitute bloggers, we miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And here's another P.S.
    Do y'all remember Percodan? This was before Percoset. Is it just me or was that stuff incredibly better (at pain relief, of course) than Percoset?
    I was given it once, when I had some wisdom teeth removed. After two days, I realized I had to throw the rest of it away or I would be selling my body on the street in order to purchase more.
    Close call.
    Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha you crack me up! The stuff about men and grilling is so true - it's pretty hilarious actually. They love to grill. My dad just bought us a new grill - I brought it home Thursday, and my boyfriend spent 4 hours putting it togehter right then. Men. Of course I know how good your granola is - and I'm sure hungry now after hearing all your other stuff. Usually all I can think of is baked potatoes or pizza - haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well CME, baked potatoes are good and so is pizza. But they both need to be "rounded out" by something, don't they?
    I'm glad you stopped by the blog, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My hubby's two constant suggestions are pizza and burritos. And when I was on treatment, with no imagination or energy left, I swear, weeks went by when that was all that was cooked. Yet still.... when asked, those are the two suggestions he offers. So Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's because men are just concerned with dragging home the wooly mammoth they've killed. After that, they don't care how it shows up on their plate.
    Or something?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm hungry now! Your food sounds amazing. You're amazing! Love you xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. In Australia, a barbecue isn't a barbecue unless there's beer. And lots of it.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me, sweeties. Tell me what you think.