Thursday, April 30, 2009

And The Opera House Saves My Life Again


This week has been going by crazy-ass fast and it seems like every moment has been filled with something of grave importance or at least semi-importance although yesterday I hit a wall and went to bed in the middle of the afternoon for two entire hours and guess what? The universe continued to roll along as if nothing was missing and geez, louise, you'd think I wasn't even necessary or something, wouldn't you?

The play opens tomorrow night and I have to say that until last night's rehearsal I had very little hope that this was going to be anything but a fiasco and I was planning on personally making sure that everyone in the audience was liquored up to the full level in order for it to come off as any sort of success but last night, we found a groove (about fucking time, I'd say) and had some fun with it. The play's no good until the actors start having fun. There are some decent moments in it and mostly ones we've come up with ourselves. It's playing. So above you see a picture of Boris and Natasha, each holding a weapon. There are lots of weapons and Natasha carries most of them in a shiny black bag and one of our "moments" is when I pull them each out and hand them to Boris, all the while protesting my innocence in the matter of a murder.

There's the prop table. A bomb, dynamite, a hammer, two knives, a gun, poison, a large hypdodermic, wire cutters, and you can't see the sickle and the hacksaw. Oh yeah, the skull goes in the bag too. Messy business, murder.

It's been so fun work with my Boris. He's come down from Thomasville to play with us and he's been a joy. When he's working it onstage, all eyes are on him and there's no place I can go that he's not been right there adding bits and making it all work. And he's such a nice fellow!

All my cast mates are nice folks and it's been a joy to watch people warm up to their characters and let go of inhibitions and just fling themselves into seduction and silliness.

Would you look at those cuties? I didn't do any justice at all to Veronica's cleavage there. But if you come to the play, you'll see what I'm talking about. That girl- well- if Natasha needs a bag full of weapons to slay her victims, her half-sister Veronica needs nothing more than what fits into her bra. Uh-huh.

Still, I have my worries. I am known for freezing onstage and tomorrow night, our opening, is the night when my entire family is coming and it's my mother's and my baby daughter's birthday and they'll be right there, watching me make a complete fool of myself if I lose my shit.
No pressure.

I'll be getting back to my story when I can. Right now I'm got to take a walk, I've got things to pick up in two counties, my chicks need to go outside, and it's a gorgeous, gorgeous day here in Lloyd. The sun is shining, the birds are calling, the confederate jasmine is starting to bloom, the roses are crazy-in-bloom, the chicks are growing, Mr. Moon is home safe, and the pea vines are making peas. Pretty soon I'll be able to dig up a few new potatoes and I'll steam them and some snow peas and make a lovely white sauce to serve over them and well- life couldn't be much better.
For Mary, at least.

Natasha? We'll just have to see, won't we?

16 comments:

  1. I suspect such sunny, natural joys are not to Natasha's taste. She's looking baaaad though! Work it, Mary!

    MMM, the veggies and flowers and sunshine sound so good. Peas and new potatoes are the best. And artichokes and corn on the cob and avocado salad? Favourite dinner ever. My father grew it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure Natasha is going to be just wonderful! I'm so excited about the play, my birthday and being done with this semester. Although, I had my first Nursing school dream last night, and I have a feeling I'm going to be having a lot more of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot to tell you that I love that picture of Natasha and Borris. It looks like a good time, even if you think it's bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait! What time do things get started tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Jo- Your daddy grew avocados? Where? My favorite.

    HoneyLuna- I'm excited it's your birthday! And yes, the dreams have just begun...

    DTG- Doors open at six thirty. The action begins at seven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, no, not avocados. Or corn, I don't think. Not enough sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure the play will be wonderful! I wish I could see it, but I'm geographically undesirable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. Jo- I can't even grow avocados here in North Florida. Although with global warming, I probably will be able to in a few years and of course, by then, all my oak trees will be...no. I can't even say that.

    AJ- That could be literal, what with those heels and the fact that I'm blind and wearing sunglasses onstage. But thank-you!

    Rachel- Yeah. I know. Oh well. I wish you could be here.

    Steph- Oh, it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like so much fun!

    So, what you're saying is Veronica is the one that could get away with murder........especially if she bends over!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it's play time already? It seems to have gone by fast, no?

    That picture of you and your Boris is too cute. I'm sure that it'll all go smoother than you imagine it will.

    PS - My Confedrate Jasmine is blooming too, even though I thought I had killed it. It's such a wonderful fragrance!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look like Reese Witherspoon in that picture! Looks like you're having fun with it, and that's what matters. Break a leg tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Words cannot express how completely bummed out I am that there's a play opening tomorrow that I'm not in.
    I'm certain you'll do wonderfully, as you always do. Break a leg!
    By the way, I assume they got the 1mb file of the "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" theme I sent via email? It seemed like such a waste to burn that tiny file to a CD.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Natasha you are the one who make us so deliciously evil. I am just some hack that gets up there and makes a jackass out of himself....Boris

    ReplyDelete
  14. Zelzee- You got it!

    Lady Lemon- I don't think you CAN kill Confederate Jasmine.

    Ginger- Oh. You're too sweet.

    Jon- Yes. We got it. It's perfect! Thank-you! Are you coming to see the play? We miss you so!

    Boris- Ha! We are asses-together in crime! And seriously, you are a POWER HOUSE onstage. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me, sweeties. Tell me what you think.