Thursday, April 16, 2009

Shopping Habits


So I left the nest yesterday to go to Goodwill to do some costume shopping. I'm playing a cartoonish character in a play soon whose name is Natasha and whose accent is Russian. Okay, Russian-esque. By some sort of unexplained serendipity, I recently listened to a book on CD entitled A Short History Of Tractors In Ukrainian and the narrator's voice has informed my take on how Natasha speaks. I would try to explain to you why my character has a Russian accent in the first place but I really can't. She's from Nevada.
But when your name is Natasha and you hang out with a Boris, you have the right to speak in a Russian accent, I suppose, no matter where you're from and so I do and it's a lot of fun, even though the play is completely ridiculous. We have to do the whole thing as broadly as possible and depend on the sexual innuendos and tit jokes to make it work. Really.
Natasha's breasts are never mentioned, although she has had plastic surgery (again- why?) and her main joke is weapons. I am supposed to carry a bag around big enough to hold a bomb, knives, a gun, a piece of cactus, and dynamite. At least. How this is going to work is somewhat beyond me, but I suppose it will.
But what would this Natasha wear?
Something black. And slinky. Those are my guidelines.
So I went to the Goodwill and spent an entire hour going through every dress they had on the racks. This was a lot of dresses. I found a dress which would have been perfect. It was black. It was slinky. It was from the eighties and had sequins and thises and thatses that I can't imagine anyone south of New Jersey ever wearing but it probably was worn by...well, listen, I have a good imagination but it's not that good. And it didn't fit. Oh yeah, I could zip it, but- no. I am not a real actress. I just play one in Monticello. And I will put on a gray wig and pretend to be an old woman but I will not allow my four-babies-stretched and not-at-my-ideal-weight belly to be on view through the lycra-infused material of a black eighties dress. Nope. And don't even talk to me about Spanx. I know a girdle when I see one and just because you call it something kicky and naughty like Spanx doesn't make it any better.
So anyway, there I was at the Goodwill with a cart full of clothing and I tried on and I tried on and I tried on and nothing worked. It was one of those days when you shop only to end up feeling very fat and very old and very resigned to wearing bags made of black linen your entire life.
But you see, Natasha can't wear a bag made of black linen. And so my three hours spent in the huge warehouse of the Tallahassee Capital Circle Goodwill were all for naught.
Well, I did buy two pans and a tiny bowl and a pair of Gap short overalls. I'll be looking good in those, let me assure you, as I work in the garden this summer. I like overalls and cargo pants because they have lots of pockets to put my Walkman and my trowels in.
But here's the funny thing: I am one of those people who participate in the Gallop Poll and I had an online survey to do for them when I got home about apparel and accessories and how much money I spend on those things and where I spend it.
Thankfully, they had a Goodwill/Thriftstore option because otherwise, I couldn't have taken the poll. And they had categories like Formal Business and Casual Business and I just checked the N/A box because really, those categories are not applicable in my life and thank goodness, although you can find those sorts of things at Goodwill too.
As I've said before, I love the Goodwill because they have all the brands and sometimes even handmade things and I have actually bought garments that I will never wear because someone made them and it sort of made me want to cry to see them with their tiny stitches and their lumpy zippers and their handmade buttonholes, hanging right there between clothes from Walmart and The Dress Barn.
They didn't have a catagory for that in the Gallop Poll I took yesterday.
Strange clothing you bought because you felt sorry for it.

Check.
Yeah, well. This is why polls lie. They don't give you the right options.
When it came time in the survey to ask me why I shop at the place I shop, they didn't have a category that said, "Because at Goodwill I once saw two Hispanic men walking through the household section holding hands." Or, "Because at Goodwill the manager will sometimes break into song." Or, "Because at Goodwill you can drift and shop and try to imagine the stories behind each and every garment and item." Or, "Because they have soft little nightgowns at Goodwill with a dead person's name written in Sharpie on the label." Or even, "Because at Goodwill you can sometimes find a Donna Karan dress for four bucks."
I look down at what I'm wearing right now on this chilly morning in April. A pair of yoga pants that are so soft and comfortable that I wear them almost daily, a red mock cotton turtleneck from Talbots and a cashmere sweater in Daffodil yellow. I got them all at Goodwill.
They did have a question on the survey asking whether I shop for style or comfort.
Guess which one I picked?
Ms. Moon does okay at Goodwill.
Natasha- not so much.
Yet.
But she will.
Because they have everything at Goodwill. Even a dress for a woman named Natasha who speaks with a Russian accent even though she's from Nevada. It's there, just waiting for Natasha to find it. She'll walk into a Goodwill and there it will be and also the stiletto-heeled boots she's going to need.
"Yesss," she will croon in her fake Russian/Ukrainian accent. "Theese is exactly vhat I need."
And it will be.

19 comments:

  1. "Strange clothing you bought because you felt sorry for it.
    Check."

    First out loud laugh of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love goodwill, too. I am not usually so successful with the clothing finds, though I have tried. But I think that half of my kitchen comes from there. And my most favorite lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DTG- Glad I made you laugh. How was Trivia?

    Lady Lemon- So many treasures to be found, aren't there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trivia was standard, except we had Togi with us, which was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, this is great.

    I read that book, it was very good. But a bit depressing.

    And then her next one was about immigrant fruit pickers, dedicated to the Chinese winklepickers who died in England, and I just couldn't really face that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodwill is great for costumes! Also, for cool men's shoes. When my sister got married last year, my oldest son needed dress shoes and a suit. We were able to find everything he needed at Goodwill...and the shoes were awesome wingtips for $5.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will find what Natasha needs. I know they have a lot of high heeled boots at Plato's Closet. I will look for you if I am in there again. And I have a feeling I will be in there again, especially if I need an excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. Jo- I find that I will listen to books that I probably wouldn't read. Especially if the narrator is a good one. That was the case in this book.

    GingerMagnolia- Way to rock the Goodwill!

    HoneyLuna- They have lots of boots at GW, too. Oh! I got a dress that either you or May might like. It's sort of very funky and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The follow up book is funnier, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a brilliant writer, my friend. Your spirit shines through every bit (even your comments on other blogs, BTW). Thanks. And good luck, Natasha!

    P.S. What a coincidence; I wrote about Spanx (in the context of corsets) today on my blog. Stop by if you're interested... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love that you feel sorry for strange clothing, and then buy it -- I agree with DTG, that was definitely my first smile of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Xbox- I'll take your word for it.

    Mrs. 4444- Well, thank-you! And it is odd that we both wrote about Spanx today. Crazy world.

    SJ- It has actually happened.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Natasha: where did you find the wanted poster? You know deputy officer ma'am will see it and stop our plans with our friend Harry. That is such a cool poster....Boris(herb)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ochlockneeboy- Boris! I knew it vas you! I find ze poster on the google image search! Zey haf many, many pictures of us on zeir website. Who do we sue with ze lawyer?

    ReplyDelete
  15. We sue Moose and Squirrel Zay are zi reason ve have to take job to kill our friend Harry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love women with Russian accents, Boris and Natasha, and your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OchBoy- We zeem not to be abble to keel Harry. That, too, iss the fault of Moose and Squirrel. EVERYZING iss the fault of Moose and Squirrel.

    Maggie- NO girl, you. And yours. Your growing, life-making yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Zee reason ve have not keeled Harry is zat we buy from Acme. Moose and Squirrel own Acme.....Boris

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Goodwill, and one of the few benefits of this job is that my office is across the street from a Goodwill store. I spend many lunch breaks there. If there were no Goodwills, my children woudn't have name brand clothes. Most of my work wardrobe comes from Goodwill, and I've come to the point in my life where I refuse to pay more than $7.99 for pants ANYWHERE!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me, sweeties. Tell me what you think.