Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Bigot Is A Bigot Is A Bigot (Even if he's a bishop)


I was listening to the Diane Rehm Show yesterday on NPR and she had, as a guest, Bishop Harry Jackson, senior pastor of the Hope Christian Church in Beltsville, Maryland. The topic was gay rights and President Obama's signing of a directive giving new benefits to same-sex partners of federal employees. Some are saying that our president's directive didn't go far enough. Some say that he went as far as he could under current federal law. But this pastor, Bishop Jackson, was arguing vehemently against the directive. He called it the beginning of the slippery slope of the national recognition and legalization of gay marriage, which he finds abhorrent.

Now you know, I have heard these Christian... (I am trembling with the need to call them dickwads but I am a polite southern lady, as you know) believers who think that gay marriage is proof positive of the end of times and I am used to that. But when I was listening to this particular Christian, I was struck by how much his arguments reminded me of the arguments during the sixties against integration and civil rights. He had nothing of any value to say except that he believed it was wrong and that it was wrong to force people to accept this wrongness. He even cited, as an example, photographers who would be FORCED to do wedding photography for gay marriages.
That photographers, if they were of the belief that gay marriage is immoral and wrong (as the bishop does), would somehow have THEIR civil rights violated if forced to take those pictures.
Now, as far as I know, no photographer in this entire country has ever been forced by law to take a wedding gig that he or she did not want.

Really. That was the level of argument this man was using. That those Americans who believe that it goes against god's word for people of the same sex to join legally in love and marriage are going to be forced to accept the evilness of the result of such marriages in their everyday lives.
He also used as an example a daycare that his church runs which, if gay marriage is recognized in Maryland, will be forced to take the children of gay couples and how that is just not the type of people whom they want around "their" children.

And all I could think about was how bigots spouted off the same exact words about what would happen if integration and equal rights for African Americans became the law of the land. If Negroes were allowed to eat dinner in the same restaurant as you, the next inevitable step would be that your sister would be forced to marry one.

It was just so blatant, the words pouring forth from this man's lips- his fear, his intolerance, his prejudice, his blindness, his use of his religion to rationalize his bigotry.
The Bible was used to rationalize slavery for hundreds of years, was it not?
What is the difference between that bullshit and the bullshit of using Leviticus to rationalize not giving equal rights to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people?
There is none.
Either we live in a country which provides equal rights for all or we do not.
I think we do not.

And I am tired of this.
Come on, people! Can we not grow up? Can we not see that we are all different and that there are so many variations of loving human behavior?

Who do we think we are to deny human rights to others because of differences?
And how do we get away with it?

How do people who hide behind religion to defend their bigotry against others of different colors or beliefs or born-gender preferences get away with being the ones who make our laws and defend them?
They should NOT be allowed to make the laws of our land. Not OUR land- the land where everyone, do you hear me? EVERYONE should be extended the equal rights guaranteed to all.

Those old sick arguments are not worth listening to anymore. They never were but it is 2009 and the voices of these sad people should be exposed for the vile ignorance they represent. And it's time to quit giving these people soap boxes to spout their vileness from.

Any two consenting adults who want to be married should be allowed to be married. And don't drag incest in here, either. I'm not talking about that.
And also, while we're at it, let's get rid of that ridiculous Don't Ask, Don't Tell law. There are too many problems and denials of basic human rights wrapped up that little package to even begin to go into here.

If Bishop Jackson doesn't believe in gay marriage, he should not marry a man. If a gay woman wants to join the Army she shouldn't have to pretend she's straight and fear that some disgruntled fellow soldier can force her out of the service.

We should all be allowed to say, "This is who I am." Because who else can say that?
No one.
No one else at all. And we should be allowed to say that without fear of repercussions or violence.

And I am tired of all of the time and energy we spend on trying to legislate and regulate such matters when children are hungry, when people die for lack of health care, when the world is teetering on the very brink of disaster as ice sheets melt and seas rise and we can't figure out how to replace the internal combustion engine with something that doesn't wound our planet.

We're better than this. Not just Americans, but humans.
I refuse to believe we're not.
If we could just shut up the nattering naybobs of hate and ignorance, maybe we could start to make the changes we have to make.
I think our president knows this and I think he is trying.

I think I'm on his side.
I know I'm on the side of love. Whatever that means, I'm on that side.
The side that says that all true love is good. That any love which can abide the light of love on its shoulders is one that we should encourage.

Bishop Jackson- read what Jesus said. And weep at what you're trying to defend.
Because right now you're sounding like George Wallace when he stood in the doorway of the University of Alabama to prevent African-American students from entering.

We all need to vote for leaders who are not afraid to give equal rights to all.

This is America, goddammit. And I am an American. And this is my voice.

My heterosexual, love-believing voice which is just as important as Rush Limbaugh's or Bill O'Reilly's or Bishop Jackson's, even if I don't have as big a soap box as they do.
I'm just as important. And so are you. And so is every single person in this country.
This country where human rights are so highly valued. In theory if not in reality.

Please. It's time. Let's make it a reality.
Let's give everyone's love the chance to shine as brightly as everyone else's.

That's all I'm saying. Equal rights for all. Yesterfuckingday, as my friend Lis says.
And let's quit basing the laws of our land on ancient religions that have no place in today's society. Basing who gets to enjoy the rights they deserve as Americans on prejudice and ignorance and fear.
Let's let our children grow up knowing that whoever they are, they can marry whom they choose, legally and with all rights.

Okay? Is that so much to ask?

I don't think so. I really do not.

And on a somewhat related note, I see that Cher's child is bravely and publicly declaring a gender change. And Cher has announced that although she does not understand, she pledges to be "understanding" and that nothing will change the abiding love she has for her child.
She can't understand? Cher, the woman who has had almost every one of her body parts altered to conform to the vision she has of who she really is and wants to be?
Come on. Cher- you can do this. Just open the little gate and walk across the dewy grass and there you are on Chaz's front porch.
Open the door and hug your son.
Done.


It's Friday. I'm hot. And I feel heated.
Thanks for listening.












29 comments:

  1. Yeah, what you said.

    EXACTLY what you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM a Christian, I belive in God and Jesus and all that jazz, and I also believe that pastor whatever the fuck his name is should shove his Holy Bible up his ass. The Big Guy I believe in just wants us to be happy, to love and be productive human beings and try to make the world a better place; our little corner of it AND the world in it's entirety. Which means htat we all go to bed with te perons we love, regardless of gender. That if my neighbors house has two mommies or two daddies or one of each or just one, well, I bet they just love theri kids the same way and try to raise them up right. I believe-well hell, stop me here; your space, your blog, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you could go in and fix all my terrible typos; my thoughts go WAY faster than my fingers. And I LOVE the soaps you sent me; love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is love. This man does not know a God of love.

    I think he's just hiding his gayness behind hatred. Probably he wishes he was brave enough to be a gay man....coward.

    Celebrate life and leave this hatred for the fools. The laws will follow with education, fear not sweet woman.

    But when you're ready to march, Windy and I will meet you Tally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i dont know who or what God is. and i dont even know what i believe about it all. i dont know that it matters much even.

    but i thank you. for your voice, ms moon. you have a powerful voice, full of truth. and i wish your soap box was bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't agree more, Ms. Moon. Well said.

    Love,

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Live and let live, I say! I am the only Obama supporter among most of my friends and family. So, I say that alot. Live and let live. And that goes for Chaz, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. justme- I'm preaching to the choir here, aren't I? Thanks.

    Kori- You're the kind of Christian I beieve in. And you can always leave any kind of comments you want. I love 'em. And isn't that soap lovely? Ah. We need to make more.

    Margo- Thanks. I have a theory about that self-hating homosexual thing...

    Learner- I like your blog name because I learn from you.

    Ms. Bastard- Thanks for the shout-out. You're precious.

    DTG- Thanks, baby.

    Lora- I am. I am trying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is why I don't go to church anymore. Because I can't stand the contradiction of it: Love your neighbor... but not it he's gay.
    Go out and baptize nations....but not babies born to single moms or gay/lesbian parents.
    Seriously, people. Pull your heads out of your asses. The stink is clouding your thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all I wish I could see your post while I was commenting but then maybe it is better that I don't because my comments might be longer than they normally are (and they are already too long). To call them christians you should use quotes. I'm not a christian and I will never be. I spent much of my childhood wrapped up in the "christian" religion and then when I questioned things, I was labeled a trouble maker. How sad that I did the very thing they taught me to do but...
    I never understood why others had a problem with someone doing something that had NO bearing on their own lives. I am with you let people marry who they want. And by the way I one of those damn republicans (for lack of a better label). I do not think Obama is the right leader for our country and I know that he has already gone back on several campaign promises in fact he is really just using the Bush policies that got us in the mess we are in but that is another topic (no I don't care for Mr. Bush either but I loved Clinton, hard to figure out aren't I?) but maybe this is one step forward. Hopefully!
    As for Wallace, well see growing up in Montgomery afforded me some opportunities for which I am very grateful. Wallace did a lot of things I don't agree with however I had a chance to meet the man, spend time with him and become a "pen pal" as he called it. We discussed in depth his mistakes, his dreams cut short and you know he was a different man when he dies. He does not need to be defended but when you get to know someone one and you understand why they did things they did right or wrong you forgive them. I guess that is the true love you are talking about

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do it for Love, love, love. It's all for love, love, love.

    Thanks, Ms. Moon. You da bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rachel- We could rant all day on this one, couldn't we?

    Sarah- At the top of the comments page you can click on Show Original Post and it gives you the text of the post so you CAN see it.
    And that is so interesting that you were a sort of friend of George Wallace's and I am very glad he had changes of heart before he died but it must be said that his actions in the early sixties (especially if you were alive then) were (perhaps unfortunately) totemic of the Ugly White Southerner. I still cringe when I think of him but it really is good to know that he changed. Some people never can. And yes, that is the sort of love I'm talking about.

    Ms. Windy- Absolutely- it's all about love. And rights, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love is about the only thing I really believe in anymore, and I firmly believe you should be able to love who you love, and celebrate that love the same ways heterosexual people are able to.

    And the photography comment? Wow, grasping at straws, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  14. i recently just had a discussion with another person on this very topics - both of us Christians. but I pride myself on NOT judging others or their lifestyles. i don't base my opinion, friendship, or anything else on a person's sex life, belief's, skin color, etc. it's so aggravating when i think i'm talking to a like-minded person to find out that they have a total disregard for someone because of their sexual preference... Arghhh! Sex, politics, religion - I think they will always be at odds... The world we live in...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good one!

    We have marriage equality and pretty much everything else equality here in Belgium. Now just the minds of (too many of) the people to follow. It's a good start, though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amen! I mean, right on! Exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ginger- I know. I was in stunned disbelief when he pulled that one out of his ass.

    CMe- Yes. How does someone else's gay relationship affect you and your boyfriend? I've never understood this.

    Mwe- Sometimes the government has to lead.

    Nola- Thanks, honey.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bishop Bigot...

    sometimes I wonder if these guys are strategically trying to "rally the base" or whatever they call it. Kind of like the whole Palin MO. Just to keep us all fighting.

    Hard to believe they are for real. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When my parent were married 47 years ago (sounds longer than it feels!), it was illegal in more than half the states in this country. Seems unbelievable and archaic. Hopefully, in far fewer than 47 years, the illegality of same-sex marriage will seem just as archaic as the illegality of interracial marriage.
    For ever and ever, amen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so weary of this whole debate...I feel like we, as a civilized society, should be past all this shit. But, the beat goes on - and we must keep remembering to not fall silent.

    ReplyDelete
  21. As a 19 year old Gay boy I'd just like to say thanks for this, it helps when folk speak out for no other reason than to say this is wrong.
    So here ya go
    'thanx' and it does mean a lot.
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  22. Petit Fleur- This guy sounded entirely sincere.

    Michelle- EXACTLY! I kept thinking about that very issue when Bishop Bigot was speaking.
    I get so mad sometimes and really, that doesn't do any good. And sometimes, I just cry at the ignorance.

    SJ- You're right. We have to speak up.

    Nick- You are one very interesting young man, I must say. And you know what? To get that comment from you means more to me than you can possibly imagine. Bless you, darlin', and thank-YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ms. Moon, I love you in blue and I love your voive crying out in the wilderness. As a fellow southern, I've heard much of the same nonsense spouted by self-proclaimed servants of the Lord on far too many occasions. However, I missed my finishing school classes, so I'm not very polite and they are dickwads! I got hear by way of SB and I will be coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sheria- Well, I did not go to finishing school either. I am so glad you came by to visit and I hope you come again. I see by your profile that we are of roughly the same age and I would like your perspective any time you would like to leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. "I was struck by how much his arguments reminded me of the arguments during the sixties against integration and civil rights."

    I know, the similarities are utterly glaring, no? I asked my african american coworker what she thought of gay marriage. "They're all going straight to hell."

    I pointed out, that the gay marriage struggle is so similar to the denial of marriage to inter-racial couples years back.

    She totally changed the subject.

    The change is coming Ms Moon, but it's a slow process. I wish Obama would be a little bit more forceful in his tactics, though he surely does have enough on his plate.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me, sweeties. Tell me what you think.