Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Keepin' It Real For You, Folks

That's what Mr. Moon and I picked last night. I already had half a dozen cucumbers in the refrigerator.
And today would be a fine day to make pickles but I have no water.

Sigh. It's one of those days.

You move to the country so you can grow cucumbers and then your well breaks so you sign up for the community water and then you wake up and there's no water flowing from your taps and you check the place outside where the community water hooks up to your meter to see perfectly good water boiling into the street so you go down to the water office and there's no emergency number and you know darn well that the entire county has one man to go around and fix things and who knows when that guy'll get here after you leave a note on the door?

And besides that, Mr. Moon has already asked you how you could spend all the money in the bank account that he put in there on FRIDAY and all you can say is...Target.

And he gives you the speech about buying what you NEED versus buying what you WANT and so then you ask him what he needs and wants for supper and he says he probably doesn't need anything and he doesn't know what he wants and so you say, "I knew you'd say that," because you've been asking him the same question for 26 years and he's been giving the same answer.
And then he says, "Cucumbers," and you're tempted to give him a bowl of cucumbers for supper, unpeeled and undressed and say, "Here you are."
And then he says, "Clam spaghetti," and again, you knew he was going to say that too.
It's almost like you're psychic or something. Haha!

So. You can't do laundry, and the dirty overalls from Sunday are in the basket, mouldering like John Brown's body in the grave and you can't make pickles because pickles require a hell of a lot of water to process and you can't even boil pinto beans because you have no water to boil them in and let's not talk about flushing the toilet and you'd take a walk but it already looks like hell out there, the sky gray and ominous and by god you'll not be caught out in a forest in one of the thunder storms we've been having lately.
Certain death, for sure.

And you can't go to town because you'd just end up buying a lot of things you don't need but suddenly decide you want.

Perhaps you should just go back to bed which requires no water and no storm protection and no money whatsoever. Sleeping is about the cheapest thing you can do. Did you realize that? If you already own the bed and the sheets, it's free.

Grumble, grumble, grumble. As if I didn't need a bathing suit and some t-shirts and I damn well needed a new trash can because the whole bottom of the old one rusted off and stayed on the floor when I went to pick it up to sweep under it and okay, I did not need a new begonia, I admit that but it only cost $4.99 and it's one I've never seen before, much less owned, okay?


Sigh and sigh again.

But before he goes to work you both giggle a little because you've had this discussion so many times in your life together and you kiss and say I love you, and that's life, that's marriage, and you hand him his lunch and he goes out the door to go to work to earn the money for you to buy things you want as well as need and you, well, you get another cup of coffee and decide to write about it all because this, this is marriage, this is life, this is the way it is some days in Lloyd and probably in every house and hut (did you NEED a new pot to boil cassava in? really? my mother's pot, god rest her soul, wasn't good enough anymore?) in the world.

Keepin' it real, folks. That's my job.

Did you go read what my son wrote about the Stonewall Riots? If not, please do. You NEED to.

No running water required.

32 comments:

  1. Mouldering like John Brown's body in the grave--I love that phrase.

    I also love you and the Target, as I call it. I understand, Ms. Moon. Boy, do I understand.

    Love,

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, "Did you really need a new stick to pound rice with? Do you think they grow on trees?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. SB- The Target is evil. But oh, how we love the evilness of The Target.

    DTG- Exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who needs water when you have your sister's Blackberry? I think I NEED one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't we related to John Brown?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle- Crackberry, you say? I think you need one, too. How's the vacation going?

    May- So the story goes. I think I have his great-great granddaughter's tablecloth or something like that. Related on Granny's mother's side of the family. I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He had like 20 kids. I think everyone is related to John Brown at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kori: an American abolitionist who believed in direct action rather than passive resistance. He attempted to lead a raid on an arms depot in Harper's Ferry, but was captured and hanged.

    http://en.wikipedia.org
    /wiki/John_Brown_(abolitionist)

    ReplyDelete
  9. DTG- Thank you for enlightening us again. We are all related anyway but not everyone has the tablecloth. Tee-hee.

    Kori- Haven't you ever heard that song, "John Brown's body lies amoulderin' in the grave?" Maybe not. I don't even know why I know of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Begonias, and you can't beat $4.99 for a big ole Begonia like that.

    The Target...yeah...it totally has a way of spending all the money in the bank account might quickly if ya don't watch it.

    And my dear W is NEVER any help with the 'what to make for supper' question. His response is "Whatever you feel like making" which is no help what-so-ever since if I KNEW what I felt like making I wouldn't be asking, now would I? Why can't men get that? Sheesh...I guess I am lucky in that he will eat (and love) pretty much anything I make, which is great, especially when I am pregnant, since right now I very rarely have trouble deciding what I am hungry for ;0)

    And I vote for going back to sleep. You can take a nap for me since I can't, and Man OH Man does a nap sound so wonderful right about now. Hope the water is fixed soon, I can't wait to see pics of the pickles!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry. I'm totally the cause of most of those Target expenses. I didn't need those pots or the lavender seeds, or new underwear, or my new skirt and shirt or my razor blades (well those I do sort of need). But I really love all those things. You can tell Daddy that I made you get them, I held you at gunpoint and forced you. Maybe he won't be mad at you then. Sorry about your water. You're welcome to come hang out at my apartment. It would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. JustMe- I have sort of a begonia collection abuse problem. But hey! It's not crack!
    And luckily I generally know what I want for supper too. And Mr. Moon, like your husband, is always grateful for whatever I serve him.

    HoneyLuna- Now girl, you NEEDED that stuff. Yes you did. So there. And I just got my water back on so I can do the laundry and now I'm back to weeding beans, quite sure I'll have somewhere to wash my hands off although the rain water in the wheelbarrow has been perfectly fine for that purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look like some fine cucumbers for pickles. I've only got the one cucumber plant, so my hauls have been significantly smaller.

    Target, oh how I love thee. I have to stay away because there are enough wants in there for me to get lost forever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ms. Moon do you ever get squash vine borers? It appears that my one and only cucumber plant has been hit hard by them. If you have experience, what do you do?

    Gardening in the South is an experience all its own. Sigh.

    P.S. I know the song about John Brown's body too and I'm from Alaska so it gets around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We don't even have a Target, but I'm always jealous when my friend May comes back with amazing cheap shoes or something or other from there. Perhaps our lives are simpler because we don't have a Target, and we're not tempted to buy as much stuff.

    Random fact: always hated pickles, but decided to learn to eat them when I turned thirty. It's coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to laugh at the way people comment on the things you mention in the post, when all I can do is goo and gah over how wonderfully written it is.

    Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another dandy Ms. Moon. I can picture myself and Mrs. Shife having these same conversations in a few years. She likes Target but Ross is the evil store that sends shudders down my spine when she goes shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I was singing that song to myself, as I drove through Harper's Ferry last week!
    Good grief, you have an entire other life on your son's blog - with boats and swimming - it's like 'What Ms Moon does when she's not writing or gardening or dancing or acting!'

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pickles! Target! Harper's Fairies! oh my! it's all here!

    And yes, BabyMama gives me an allowance and wonders how a little bit of drinking and carousing can blow so much money. I'll try to say Target, next time instead.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lady Lemon- Yep. I have an entire ROW of cucumbers and they are fierce!

    Aunt Becky- It's a cutie. I have some others that really are amazing. My favorites are ones that I didn't buy but started from a leaf or a tiny bit of stem.

    Nola- Yes. I have had many problems with cukes including the dreaded squash vine borer and that dusty fungus stuff. This year I planted some sort of "disease resistant" cucumbers and I sure wish I remember what they were because they are resisting all kinds of perils.

    Mwa- Pickles are awesome.

    Xbox- Stop it! You're making me blush and have hot flashes.

    Mr. Shife- But Ross is so cheap! Really! I swear! It is!

    Ms. Hope- Haha! Yes, I do have a sort of life. Kind of.

    Magnum- And I'm going to start telling Mr. Moon I spent all that money in bars.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My better half has the same affliction concerning meal prep choices.

    I
    feel
    your
    pain.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your words make me hopeful, even if you're grumbling. And yes, I did read what he wrote, even before you told me to.

    ReplyDelete
  23. And like they say on Car Talk on NPR, "You've done it again. You've wasted another perfectly good hour listening to Car Talk." Except I didn't waste my hour alone in my house (really weird) and I didn't spend it on Car Talk. I spent it catching up with you. Church of Batshit Crazy? You kill me:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. No water is the hands down worst...aside from no AC of course.

    I just got back from a whirlwind trip to Nashville. We went to the country music hall of fame, and i thought of you and your family because we went to see exhibits in honor of our great-grandma's brother, Bill Monroe. I know your daughter is into playing bluegrass music on the mandolin so I figure you know who he is. His own mandolin was there, and it was a joy to see. I didn't inherit this talent in the gene pool, but maybe my kid will someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ms. Trouble- I think it's a man thing.

    Ginger- I wasn't really bitching, just laughing about how things go.

    Ms. Windy- That is a huge honor for you to spend your alone time reading here. Really.

    SJ- So your great uncle is the Father of Bluegrass? Awesome. I'll tell Jessie.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yep, that's him! I didn't appreciate it as a kid, but now I think it's kinda cool. And here's another funny thing - 'Jessie' is a common name for that side of the family! it was supposed to be MY name in fact, but a cousin born a few months before claimed it. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  27. SJ- Jessie is a family name on Mr. Moon's side of the family too. His daddy was named Jesse after his Aunt Jessie. I was so glad none of Mr. Moon's sisters had used the name for their kids because I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. SJ, I just have to say that having Bill Monroe as a relative is really really cool. In fact, in high school, I wrote a pretty important research paper on your great uncle, and it got me an A!

    I'm definitely grateful for what Mr. Monroe did for American folk music! I know it's effected my life in really good ways.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's awesome! I love listening to his music now and there's something so comforting about it - feels like home and I guess thats because it is. There really is something special about that music isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Our internet was broken from Sunday through today. (help me!) So I'm catching up. The same thing happens to me when I go into Target. I really do need those things, even if I could survive without them. We have the same conversations here in this house. It's why my husband now does the grocery shopping. *glee*

    ReplyDelete

Tell me, sweeties. Tell me what you think.