Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Different Day, Different Way

See that? That was the temperature here on my little kitchen porch at seven thirty this morning. Sixty-five degrees? On July 21? No-fucking-way.
And yet, there you are.
I slept with the window open last night and the AC off. On July 21st. This is craziness! And it's so beautiful. The humidity can't be above fifty per cent which is like the Sahara for us. Unbelievable.
And this cool dry air is undoing the little tropical wave that was forming and perhaps heading to the Caribbean and so I don't have to worry (for this moment) about a hurricane hitting Cozumel about the same time we do.
If we create our own realities, I'm doing a heckofa job, Brownie!

We leave day after tomorrow. Am I ready? No-fucking-way.
I've got a list a mile long for today. I'm meeting up with Jessie to take her to the orthopedic doctor to see what's up with that knee. I need to buy chicken feed. I need to get my antidepressant refilled. I need books. I NEED BOOKS! And I need to go to the library to take books back. I need cat food and camera batteries and wasp spray. Boy. Do I need wasp spray.

Instead of dreaming last night that I was in a dumpy motel in Vegas, I dreamed I was at a high school reunion. Yeah. I know. Should have been a nightmare. My last actual one was. Well, at least the part where that really strange geeky guy from our class started trying to feel up all the girls he'd never even had the guts to ask out and Mr. Moon was suddenly seven-foot-ten instead of his usual six-foot-ten and was going to take the guy outside by the ears and kick his ass. "Don't do it!" I pleaded. "It's not worth it!"
He didn't but it was scary there for a minute.
Anyway, the dream I had last night was sweet. And in a way, I was the perpetrator of unrequited passion. Well, it was a mutual thing- I was kissing all the boys I'd never kissed in high school. Sweetly and innocently. I swear. The cute, quiet boys whose smiles I still must have tucked in my pocket somewhere. And someone had left a baby (there's always a baby) and she was cold and I dressed her warmly and held her to me while the reunion was going on. And then she was fine.

So this morning I feel cool and calm and excited to go on my trip with my sweet husband whom I shall kiss tens of thousands of times. Sometimes sweetly and innocently and sometimes, well, not so innocently. And we'll hold hands! We'll be the sweet old couple who holds hands! I love to hold hands, even though when I hold Mr. Moon's hand I sort of look like a child with her daddy. So what?

And last night I prescheduled a bunch of old posts to magically appear while I'm gone. There is no rhyme or reason to them. Some are funny, some are not. I was going to get the kids to guest blog but it seemed to be weighing heavily on them and I don't want to distract them from taking care of my chickens while I'm gone. So you get the summer reruns. Hell, if it's good enough for TV, it's good enough for blessourhearts.

And there you have it.

Oh- here's a poem I got today off the Prairie Home poetry e-mail I get daily. I think it's advice we can all take:




Advice to Young Poets

by Martin Espada

The Republic of Poetry) --

Never pretend
to be a unicorn
by sticking a plunger on your head


And here's a picture of one of my lady banana spiders and her little man. Isn't she lovely?

She'll be a lot bigger when I get home. And her husband may or may not be there depending just how bad her PMS gets.
All will be revealed.

Love....Ms. Moon

25 comments:

  1. Glad Jessie's home safe and sound!

    You asked for book suggestions a while back so let me throw out a few ... which you may have read but they're books I've enjoyed (I'm looking at old book club notes...):
    *The Kite Runner
    *Secret Life of Bees
    *The Bee Season (actually, I didn't like it, but you might)
    *Anything by Alexander McCall Smith - especially the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency
    *Esperanza Rising
    *Ladies Coupe by Anita Nair
    *The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
    *Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie
    *Reading Lolita in Tehran
    *Bless me Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya

    Have a wonderful trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home Jessie!

    I am getting you a book today. you will like it. I know you will.

    Love the spidie. She'll catch lots of nasty buggies and will carry out her pms urges fearlessly. I envy her that.

    If I can do anything to help you get ready, including hold your hand while you panic... let me know. (Harley and I will check in on your babies and your chickies. I know they'll all be fine.)
    xo m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to a productive day!

    Blogsitting would be a lot of pressure.

    I'm excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the weather has been wonderful hasn't it? the nights actually feel 'cool'! have a fun, relaxing, lovely trip Ms. Moon! take some nice photos for us (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll blog while you're gone, but I don't think I can fill your shoes on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yesterday at 2pm, 98 degrees in the shade. real hot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr Moon is such a good hubby! I love the thought of him dragging some sleazy fucker out of your reunion by his ears!

    Yay for blog reruns! It'll be comforting to see you "posting" even if you aren't really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last night, we went to bed and (deleted) and then I got up out of bed and turned the computer on. Joe asked if I planned to blog the event. I told him I COULD if I wanted to but that I was really checking the temperature. In my postcoital bliss, I was thinking about how cool and crisp it was and that I needed to report back to you what the temperature was. So, it was 57 degrees. 57!!!!

    And I think the kids should do what kids do when their parents go out of town. They should throw a big party on your blog. No need to fill shoes. They should just leave your blog full of raucous fun and beer cans.

    And good luck with getting your mission accomplished. Soon all will be well and you will be in Cozumel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I commented, I really did, third one. But Blogger ATE it. Shit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm coming along in your suitcase. sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you, Ms. Moon. I hope you have the best time EVER!

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  12. A batch of soapy water, really foamy soapy water, works better than any spray. Wasps breath through their bodies, the soap kills 'em instantly.

    Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The day after tomorrow? Well I will miss you and I hope you have a wonderful time on your vacation. I will be taking plenty of pictures of my baby boy for you while you are gone so there will be new ones to see when you get back. Take care, have a great time, and look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your dreams mean your inner sex goddess has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nola- I have read most of those and enjoyed most I've read. Thank-you, dear.

    Ms. Fleur- I rest better, knowing you are here.

    Steph- I only forgot half the stuff on my list.

    CMe- I will!

    Ms. Trouble- Heh-heh-heh. Fifty-seven, huh? Ain't it wonderful and strange?

    Mwa- You're the only one commented on that one. I loved it.

    Kori- It's okay.

    Aunt Becky- But then you'd miss FlogHer!

    Ms. Bastard- I'm gonna try. Love you, too.

    Magnum- REALLY?

    Mr. Shife- All right. I swear, you have the cutest baby boy on the internet. So far. Until my grandson comes along.

    SJ- Well, my sweet, innocent inner kisser has arrived, anyway.

    DTG- I think you could.

    Cozzie Laura- Which is why I bringing cotton and linen. Phew!

    Lady Lemon- Well, we all know that Mr. Moon is a good guy. Hope you enjoy the reruns.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it's funny that we both posted about bugs and PMS today. What are the odds?
    I envy you, going on vacation with your man, knowing that your babies at home will be well taken care of. I hope you have the best time ever, and can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you've scheduled posts for your time away. I was sad and lonely thinking I wouldn't be able to visit while you're gone.

    Book rec: Don't Let's Go To the Dogs Tonight (can't remember the author)
    probably not at your local library, but a really good read. Written by a friend of a friend. Dutch girls, growing up in Malawi circa 1980.

    Amy Tan??? Kitchen God's Wife? Hundred Secret Senses? (you've probably read these too)

    Drowning Ruth??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for going with me to the doctor today, and for comforting me in my pre-nursing school panic attacks and in my knee surgery frustration and fear. I know you have enough stuff on your plate these last few days before Cozumel, so it really means a lot to me.

    I don't have anything I have to do tomorrow, so let me know if I can help with anything, please!

    I love you Mamalove.

    ReplyDelete
  19. your spider is divine

    i know you said you wouldn't take the ferry, but...

    there's a tea spot in playa right on the road to the ferry. free books left by long gone travelers.

    even if you don't head across the sea, perhaps there's the like on you magical isle.

    dos besos, hermana

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll picture that plunger advice and laugh for quite a while! Thanks!

    Since I discovered your blog late, the reruns work for me. I'm looking forward to them.

    I didn't know that about the soap and wasps.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rachel- Thank-you and yes, sometimes it seems we are all one mind when it comes to posting subjects.

    Michelle- I love that book. In fact, I did a post about another book of hers here: http://blessourhearts.blogspot.com/2008/11/beautiful-mess.html
    I've got my books! Thank-you, sweetie.

    HoneyLuna- I will call you.

    Trading Faces- I think there are a few spots where you can trade books. I'll be fine with books, I feel certain.

    Joy- Good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Have such a wonderful trip Ms. Moon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll miss you when you're gone, but I'm sure the re-runs will be new to me.

    I adore imagining you and Mr. Moon walking hand in hand in Mexico...and do you know how much hope you give me? Lots.

    Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I also adore thinking of you on your beach with your giant of a man.

    And I can't wait to haer what you decide to read.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me, sweeties. Tell me what you think.