Thursday, July 16, 2009

Okay, Okay. Dill Pickles


This is a recipe from the Joy of Cooking. I do not know which edition because all of the front and back pages are gone. It was a paperback edition and might I advise you, if buying a cookbook you intend to use for life, to get the hardback? The book not only has no cover or many of its pages, it is also in two volumes now. As in, it broke in half.

So these pickles are the ones I've been making since vinegar was invented. They are NOT the best dill pickles in the world but they are the ones I make and my family likes them. They are not especially crisp. They are also relatively easy to make. I am copying the recipe as it is written and if I've added any words of my own, they will be in RED and in parentheses.

Dill or Kosher Dill Pickles

About 7 pints

This dill pickle-making procedure differs from that for long-brined pickles. The brine is weaker
and the curing more rapid; but the pickles do not keep as well, especially if home-processed. We suggest using a heated brine. (And you knew it would be impossible for me to keep my big mouth out of this but I have found they keep just fine.) Garlic, like all members of the onion family, is very susceptible to bacterial activity, so be sure to remove the garlic cloves before sealing the jars. (I hardly ever do that and all is always well. But I suppose you don't want to keep these around for years before you eat them.)

Wash thoroughly and cut in half, lengthwise:

4 lbs. of cucumbers

Combine and heat to the boiling point:

3 cups white vinegar
3 cups water
1/3 cup pickling salt (really- no more- seriously)
If you want Kosher dills (and who doesn't?) add:
12 peeled garlic cloves

When the boiling point is reached, remove the garlic cloves (whatever). Pack the cucumbers in hot, sterilized jars. (See http://blessourhearts.blogspot.com/2009/07/lets-make-pickles.html for instructions on how to sterilize jars if you don't know how to do that.)
Add to each jar:
2 Tablespoons dill seeds
3 Peppercorns

Fill the jars to within 1/2 inch of the top with the hot pickling liquid. Immediately adjust lids. Seal and process in boiling water bath for ten minutes. (And begin timing when water boils.)
******************

And that, my friends, is that. Eat or turn into Kool Aid pickles if that is what your heart desires.

10 comments:

  1. I''m gonna kool aid a jar of those to within an inch of their pickly lives.

    How many of these do you think I have eaten in my lifetime, by the way? I am a pickle eatin' fool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the garlic - I keep it in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That red pickle looks dirty. Snicker, snicker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might like the garlic more than the pickles; and yes, I leave them in(yeesh).
    I add jalapenos into the mix as well; I likes a SPICY pickle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DTG- ONE jar? I thought you were going to do like six. And how many of these pickles have you eaten in your lifetime? Probably about fifty jars, I'm thinking.

    Nola- Really. What good is taking it out?

    Ginger- Hey! I got that picture off the NEW YORK TIMES! So it's totally not dirty.

    Lady Lemon- You are welcome.

    Magnum- Mmmmm. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm sorry, but that kool-aid pickle looks like something you'd find at babes in toyland.

    i feel like i need to say a 'hail mary' just looking at it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of Kool Aid pickles. That is one red pickle, fo sho.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iris- Amen.

    Nicol- Well, my son had to tell me about them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope I work for NY Times one day. I'd love to write about Kool-Aid pickles...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me, sweeties. Tell me what you think.