Monday, October 19, 2009

That's a strange picture. I looked outside this evening and the setting sun was lighting up the railroad track in a way I'd never seen before. Now believe me- this may happen every evening or it may not. The trees are dropping leaves and the sun is shifting in its quadrant of our sky and this event may be like the solstice at Chichen Itza for all I know but there it was. And it's not a good picture. But I took it.

I live in a tiny village. There is one flashing light on the corner and if there are two other lights in all of Jefferson County I am surprised, even though it is a large county, stretching from Georgia to the coast. I had a blog-visitor yesterday. A real live one. Angie of A Whole Lot of Nothing stopped by with her family on their way back from Seaside to Orlando. While they were here, they asked me how big Lloyd is. I stretched out my arms and said, "This is it."
They laughed because this ain't much.
It was funny- her family was exactly as I had pictured them, although her two daughters were far more beautiful than I could have imagined. They had the most incredible eyes and I was so happy to show them how to throw the corn to feed the chickens, to pick them up so they could toss some potato vine into the pen next door for the goats to eat.
And here we were- people who had met only online meeting in real life. I wonder what they thought of me and my home. Did they think that it was smaller in real life than it is on the blog? Did they think I was older in real life than I look like on the blog? I have no idea.
But it was a very interesting experience and they were such nice people.

This morning I went to the post office after yoga to find a package from Barnes and Noble. A book, The Gargoyle, by Andrew Davidson, had been sent to me by someone who reads my blog. Mary, I think, who has no blog site. I've lost the e-mail she sent me, asking for my address but I think that's her. She sent me a book- a real book I can hold in my hands and I can't wait to read it to see why she thinks it is something I would love.
I have been sent other books by people who know me through this blog. And Adrienne sent me three beautiful diaper covers for Owen which she made herself.

And every time this happens- that I get sent something which someone who only knows me through this space on the internet or whom I meet because of it- I am blown away.

Look. I write a blog because I have to communicate but doing that with real, live people is hard for me. And so when someone makes the effort to do something or make a visit which results in real actual molecules of real actual things or hugs, I can just hardly believe it and I am grateful.

The light was shining on the railroad tracks tonight. They were lit up golden as if to say that I could follow them anywhere. The road in front of my house often gives me the same message. And although I am happiest right here, or perhaps down the road a few miles where I can inhale the scent of my grandson's head, can stretch my arms around one of my children, can get to yoga or the Opera House, I need to remember that there are other places.
And I also need to remember that the roads and the tracks can lead this way, too. That people can touch me who have never met me in very real ways.

And I am grateful for that. This blog has turned out to be something that expands my world, even as I sit on this porch.

Thank all of you who comment daily. I feel as if we are family in some way. I thank my children for commenting because they make me feel as if this is not just a dream I am living, but a reality.
I don't think I know how to draw the line between reality and cyber-reality any more. I have been given too much of the real kind of reality to be able to mark that distinction.

And every time it happens, every word I get as comment, every person I meet, every package that comes in the mail reminds me of that.

I live in Lloyd but I could get anywhere in the world from here and the world can come to me, as well.

Think about that. I am.

And it astounds me.

22 comments:

  1. I think this is one of the key things about blogging that I love; I meet people who I would otherwise never have known, and they make my life richer almost all the time. I haven't yet met anyone in real life, but-I will, and maybe sometimes it isn't that important-because they are real, to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is astounding, yes.

    there's a road, and it leads to you and it leads to me and to my sister, and once upon a time, if you walked down our road, you would arrive at 'piece of cake' laura's house, where there might be a game of capture-the-flag. or we might have been building an ice ramp on which we would all go sledding, and thankfully not break all our little heads open.

    and now laura's real live road leads to elizabeth, who writes comments for you every day, and god only knows where one might go from there.

    but you don't have to worry about that, because we all come sit on your porch, and read sermons over your shoulder as you type. and we feed your chickens and smell fabuloso or owen's sweet little head and have some enchiladas and then we turn off our computers and dream of each other.

    so, what do we do with all this community, dear mother superior (or mother equal) of the bat-shit-crazy church?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kori- Yes. And it stretches our minds and our souls, too, because we come to love and respect other people whose lives and beliefs are not our own. There are changes going on and I do not know where they will lead but I love being part of it.

    Adrienne- What a wonderful thing you said there. I do not know the answer to your question, though, dear woman. I do not know what we do with this community except to do what we are doing and perhaps to meet when (and if) we can. It grows and it swells and if we keep paying attention, we learn. And we leak our hearts and our souls and here we are. Together, yet separate, knowing, yet not-knowing, always reaching out our hands saying "Here, hold on."
    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the thing that made it seem very real to me, and no longer about "cyber" friends or whatnot, was when you had your blog anniversary happy hour. I wanted so badly to be there, and to see all of your faces. I feel such a connection to you, all of you, and it seems somehow wrong that we haven't been 'properly' introduced. It's almost the equation of riding the train all night with someone and learning all their secrets, and they get off on the next stop. You feel cheated, somehow.

    And another day, when you didn't update before noon (you know you're my lunchtime reading buddy), and I thought very casually as I walked to get more tea "Oh, Lily has an appointment this morning" and i wondered how Owen was.

    The same way I might think of an aunt, or a friend--I made a note to check in later because I couldn't imagine NOT.

    Sometimes people turn into family without you ever even knowing why or how.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny you wrote this today. Just this morning I thought to myself, I do believe Ms. Moon and Kori and Unknown Mami and a whole host of others saved me. You all helped me stay sane. And sanity has saved my marriage. And given my children the possibility of an intact family. It's fucking astounding.

    Aren't Adrienne's words awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'll tell you! We LOVED your house. I know I did. I love anything with real history in it and your house and property must have a million and one stories. I am sorry we could not stay longer, perhaps we should have with the traffic we found on 75, but maybe next time. Perhaps we can open some of these Yeungling's next time and share some history about where you live. I thought your house was wonderful and full of life. I would LOVE to hear more about it. Too bad we didn't get to meet Mr. Moon, but your one daughter was delightful. I wish her well in her college studies and career.

    Anna really enjoyed feeding the chickens and goats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you write this blog. It's how I keep track of you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This will sound really crazy but I've been too cold to write. Maybe tomorrow. I miss it. I'm glad I've been able to come here everyday and read you. It helps, it really does. Never Should Have Moved North, Glimmer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right on sista.
    It's funny, I think because you give so much in your writing, in sharing, in responding back, that you create this kind of magnetic pull. It's pretty magical. Even though I work in a library and am surrounded by books, I usually only notice myself sharing titles I think another would like in a personal way, if I feel a very strong something or other. And already I'm hounding you to read Edward Tulane and then this other little wonderful book by Abigail Thomas called Thinking About Memoir made me think of you today. I hope I'm not annoying you. I know I only just found your blog and all your wonderful friends. But it feels like just a happy, sweet place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And we are grateful to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes. All your words are amazingly apt, Ms. Moon. And then there are Adrienne's and I'm wondering what she means by "God only knows where one might go from there" -- this made me snort, laugh. Because God only knows what you'd do from here! I'm hoping that you'd stay a while...

    ReplyDelete
  12. And I meant to tell you that when the photo opened on my computer, I thought it was a body of water and that maybe the Loch Ness monster or something like it had been spotted. It's a very strange photo, and I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You feel like part of my family, too. You even crop up in my dreams. Which is strange and wonderful at the same time. I never could have imagined it either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you are feeling blessed and loved, because you are.
    xo pf

    ReplyDelete
  15. as a recent acquaintance I can only add that I am astounded by you... and yes by all of these connections. By the hope that it has given me in ways I can hardly articulate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That book is in a pile of books sitting on the playdoh set in the pantry that I have yet to read. I refuse to put books in the book cases that I haven't read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bet you had a shotgun cocked the whole time....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good morning!
    I'm glad the package arrived - I'm the Mary who sent it. So far, it's my #1 favourite book of the year, and I thought of you because the book is about love. It is rich and it's a novel, filled with stories within its structure. I hope you enjoy it :)
    Your post this morning is lovely. Hope the doctor gives you some good pills to knock the UTI OUT of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You bless us with your writing and your presence everyday.

    Love, SB.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't listen to Martin. He's just too jealous to express his true feelings on us meeting.

    That aside, we LOVED LOOOVED meeting you and seeing your incredible house and land. It's truly a dream of mine to have a house w/ true history and TREES and animals (maybe not spiders). I would really like to stop by again if we're not too much of a bother and maybe bring lunch to eat on your porch. That to me is heaven.

    I've met so many of my "imaginary friends" over the last year and not one of them has been a disappointment. Most are quite the opposite, like yourself, who is everything I imagine and more.

    Thank you for opening your house to us and allowing us to share your chickens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. funny...the other day, Elizabeth from A moon worn....and I were in her kitchen, and she was showing me all of these gifts she has received from bloggers. I was telling her about the gifts I had gotten, as well...and were laughing at how wonderful and crazy this blogging world is!!!!!!!!!

    Those train tracks are just perfect...
    we are all connected..
    and blogging reminds us of that...

    love this post

    ReplyDelete
  22. SJ- I love knowing that you'll be checking in at lunchtime. It gets me off my ass to get something up for you to read.
    Family. We gotta keep in touch!

    Michelle- I don't know what I'd do without all of you and your words. Your wonderful words of wisdom and your profane and beautiful senses of humor. How have we found each other? I don't know but I am so grateful.

    Patrick- Thanks for saying all of that. I love it when kids come over. They usually really like this house, especially given enough time to wander around and feel comfortable. Yes. Next time we'll drink a few Yuenlings, have more of a chat.

    HoneyLuna- Well, that our almost-daily phone calls.

    Glimmer- Too cold to write? Ah. I understand. But please get warm and write again soon.

    Bethany- You could never annoy me. Thank you for any and all suggestions and I'm glad you feel happy here.

    Elizabeth- Thank-you and it is a strange picture. Everything was dark but that lit place on the track, glowing through the woods.

    Mwa- I think I dream of all of us frequently. There sure are a lot of people around in my dreams and some of them look very familiar!

    Ms. Fleur- Thank-you.

    Deb- That makes me feel good to my toes. Thanks.

    Erin- I do the same thing!

    Daddy X- Not me. I don't touch guns. But I did have my attack dogs at the ready. Zeke especially can be quite fierce.

    Mary- Thank-you, thank-you! I am going to start it as soon as I finish the one I am reading. I can't wait. That was SO sweet of you.

    Ms. Bastard- And so do YOU!

    Angie- Next time I'll send you home with some eggs. It was fun!

    Laura- I certainly never expected this. Not at all. It's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me, sweeties. Tell me what you think.